International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 563, Erectoides-l, ert-l
Stock number: BGS 563
Locus name: Erectoides-l
Locus symbol: ert-l
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Erectoides-12 = ert-12 (3).
Monofactorial recessive (3).
Located likely in chromosome 5HL (1); ert-l.12 is associated with SNP markers from 1_1198 to 1_1355 (positions 73.70 to 133.74 cM) in 5H bins 04 to 08 and with SNP markers in a small region from 2_0379 to 2_1271 (positions 163.56 to 169.88 cM) in 6H bin 10 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW315 (1).
Spikes were slightly denser with rachis internode length values from 2.7 to 3.0 mm. Plant height was about 7/8 of normal (6). In the Bowman backcross-derived line for ert-l.12 (BW315), plants were about 10% shorter, and rachis internodes were shorter, 3.8 vs. 4.6 mm. Kernel weights for BW315 were about 10% lower, and grain yields appeared slightly lower than those for Bowman (2).
Origin of mutant:
An X-ray induced mutant in Maja Abed (NGB 8815, PI 184884) (3).
ert-l.12 (NGB 112613, GSHO 486) in Maja Abed (NGB 8815, PI 184884) (3); ert-l.45 (NGB 112645), -l.72 (NGB 112671) in Bonus (NGB 14657, PI 189763) (4); ert-l.114 (NGB 112713), -l.155 (NGB 112754), ‑l.156 (NGB 112755), -l.162 (NGB 112762) in Bonus, -l.304 (NGB 112821). -l.324 (NGB 112839), -l.371 (NGB 112887) in Foma (NGB 14659, CIho 11333) (5); ert-l.450 (NGB 112965) in Foma (6).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
ert-l.12 (NGB 112613, GSHO 486) in Maja Abed; ert-l.12 in Bowman (PI 483237, NGB 22812)*4 (GSHO 2254); ert-l.12 in Bowman*5 (BW315, NGB 22110).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Hagberg, A., Å. Gustafsson, and L. Ehrenberg. 1958. Sparsely contra densely ionizing radiations and the origin of erectoid mutants in barley. Hereditas 44:523‑530.
4. Hagberg, A., G. Persson, and A. Wiberg. 1963. Induced mutations in the improvement of self-pollinated crops. p. 105-124. In E. Åkerberg and A. Hagberg (eds.) Recent Plant Breeding Research. Svalöf 1946-1961. Almqvist & Wiksell, Stockholm.
5. Lundqvist, U. (Unpublished).
6. Persson, G., and A. Hagberg. 1969. Induced variation in a quantitative character in barley. Morphology and cytogenetics of erectoides mutants. Hereditas 61:115-178.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:489.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 2018. Barley Genet. Newsl. 48:163.