International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 446, Eceriferum-yc, cer-yc
Stock number: BGS 446
Locus name: Eceriferum-yc
Locus symbol: cer-yc
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Monofactorial recessive (4).
Location in chromosome 6H or 7HS (1); cer-yc.135 is associated with SNP markers 1_0061 to 1_1261 (positions 70.15 to 107.26 cM) in 6H bins 05 to 07 and SNP markers 2_1419 to 1_0838 (positions 0.0 to 49.53 cM) in 7H bins 01 to 04 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW134 (2);
Surface wax coating on the spike appears absent (wax code - ++ ++) (3). Surface wax on the leaf sheath appears reduced in the Bowman backcross-derived line (wax code - + ++). The long-chain n-alkanes on the spike were reduced without greatly altering the chain-length distributions of the minor hydrocarbons (7). Compared to Bowman, the Bowman backcross-derived line for cer-yc.135, BW134, had kernels that were slightly smaller with weights about 10% less. Grain yields for BW134 were about 3/4 those for Bowman. Other morphological differs from Bowman were not observed (2).
Origin of mutant:
An ethylene imine mutant in Bonus (NGB 14657, PI 189763) (1).
cer-yc.135 (NGB 111020, GSHO 1536) in Bonus (NGB 14657, PI 189763) (4); cer-yc.523 (NGB 111411) in Foma (NGB 14659, CIho 11333) (5); cer-yc.438 (NGB 111326), -yc.439 (NGB 111327) in Foma, -yc.783 (NGB 111671 in Bonus (6).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
cer-yc.135 (NGB 111020, GSHO 1536) in Bonus; cer-yc.135 in Bowman (PI 483237)*3 (GSHO 2211); cer-yc.135 in Bowman*5 (BW134, NGB 20540).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Lundqvist, U. (Unpublished).
4. Lundqvist, U., and D. von Wettstein. 1973. Stock list for the eceriferum mutants II. Barley Genet. Newsl. 3:110-112.
5. Lundqvist, U., and D. von Wettstein. 1977. Stock list for the eceriferum mutants IV. Barley Genet. Newsl. 7:92-96.
6. Lundqvist, U., and D. von Wettstein. 1985. Stock list for the eceriferum mutants VII. Barley Genet. Newsl. 15:89-93.
7. Wettstein-Knowles, Penny von. 2007. Analyses of barley spike mutant waxes identify alkenes, cyclopropanes and internally branched alkanes with dominating isomers at carbon 9. Plant J. 49:250-264.
U. Lundqvist. 1975. Barley Genet. Newsl. 5:164.
U. Lundqvist and J. D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:398.
U. Lundqvist and J. D. Franckowiak. 2011. Barley Genet. Newsl. 41:172.