International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 111, Dense spike 10, dsp10
Stock number: BGS 111
Locus name: Dense spike 10
Locus symbol: dsp10
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Dense spike c = lc (6, 8).
Monofactorial recessive (2, 8).
Located in chromosome 3HL (2, 5, 8); dsp10.c is about 1.3 cM distal from the xnt3 (xantha seedling 3) locus (7, 8.); dsp10.c is associated with SNP markers 2_0002 to 1_0628 (positions 82.03 to 135.80 cM) in 3H bins 05 to 07 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW278; dsp10.ai (previously pyr.ai) is associated with SNP markers 2_1109 to 2-1305 (positions 78.82 to 103.33 cM) in 3H bins 05 to 06 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW655; dsp10.aj (previously dsp.aj) is associated with SNP markers 2_0794 to 1_0747 (positions 39.80 to 144.30 cM) in 3H bins 04 to 09 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW258 (1); the region of 3H with common SNP markers retained all three stocks from 2_002 to 1_0224 (positions 82.03 to 85.26) (1, 3), in 3H bin 05 near the centromere. A small common set of SNP markers 2_002 to 1_0925 (positions 82.03 to 84.19 cM) are preserved in dense spike variants from Steptoe: dsp10.ba (BW273), dsp10.bb (BW274), and dsp10.bc (BW275) (1, 3).
Although rachis internode length or spike density is not a highly stable character, plants with relatively dense spikes can be selected from crosses to Club Mariout. Rachis internode length values of 2.8 to 3.4 mm, 2.9 to 3.6 mm, and 2.6 to 2.8 mm were recorded for Club Mariout in one experiment (8). Plants in Bowman backcross-derived lines for dsp10 locus (BW258, BW278, and BW655) had average rachis internode lengths of 3.3 mm compared to 4.6 mm for Bowman. The plants were 5 to 15% shorter than Bowman plants, nd spikes averaged 2 to 3 more kernels. Kernel weights and grain yields of the Bowman lines with dsp10 were similar to values for Bowman (3).
Origin of mutant:
Natural occurrence in Club Mariout (CIho 261, PI 9877) (2, 8) and other cultivars (9).
dsp10.c in Club Mariout (CIho 261, PI 9877, GSHO 71) (2, 8),
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
dsp10.c in Club Mariout (GSHO 71, CIho 261, PI 9877); dsp10.c in Bowman (PI 483237, GSHO 1956, NGB 22812); dsp10.c in Bowman*6 (BW278, NGB 20562); dsp10.ai from a 6-rowed line mutated in Sweden (18:08:04, GSHO 2433) (4) in Bowman*6 (GSHO 2241); dsp10.ai in Bowman*7 (BW655, NGB 22220); dsp10.aj from a 6-rowed line mutated in Sweden (18:08:04, GSHO 1720) (4) in Bowman*5 (GSHO 2242, NGB22083).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development1. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Dyck, P.L., and C.W. Schaller. 1961. Association of two genes for scald resistance with a specific barley chromosome. Can. J. Genet. Cytol. 3:165-169.
3. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
4. Lehmann, L.C. 1985. (Personal communications).
5. Ramage, R.T., C.R. Burnham, and A. Hagberg. 1961. A summary of translocation studies in barley. Crop Sci. 1:277-279.
6. Robertson, D.W., G.A. Wiebe, and R.G. Shands. 1955. A summary of linkage studies in cultivated barley, Hordeum species: Supplement II, 1947-1953. Agron. J. 47:418-425.
7. Schaller, C.W., C.O. Qualset, and J.N. Rutger. 1964. Inheritance and linkage of the Yd2 gene conditioning resistance to the barley yellow dwarf virus disease in barley. Crop Sci. 4:544-548.
8. Webster, O.J. 1950. Genetic and morphologic studies of rachis internode length in barley. Ph.D. Thesis. Univ. of Minnesota, St. Paul.
9. Wiebe, G.A., and D.A. Reid. 1961. Classification of barley varieties grown in the United States and Canada in 1958. U. S. Dept. Agr. Tech. Bull. 1224. 234 p.
T. Tsuchiya and T.E. Haus. 1971. Barley Genet. Newsl. 1:133.
J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:145.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2011. Barley Genet. Newsl. 41:99-100.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2018. Barley Genet. Newsl. 48:84-85.