International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 454, Non-blue aleurone xenia 5, blx5
Stock number: BGS 454
Locus name: Non-blue aleurone xenia 5
Locus symbol: blx5
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Non-blue aleurone 5 = bl5 (1).
Monofactorial recessive when complementary dominant alleles are present at the Blx1, Blx2, Blx3, and Blx4 loci (1).
Located in chromosome 7HL (1, 5); blx5.e is associated with a red stem trait controlled by the dominant allele at the ant5 (anthocyanin-less 5) locus (1); blx5.e is weakly linked to the blx2 (non-blue aleurone xenia 2) locus, but not to the fch12 (chlorina seedling 12) locus (5).
Blue aleurone color is due to anthocyanin pigments (4), which occur as lumps inside many aleurone granules in some or all aleurone cells (1). Variation in blue color expression from dark blue to an off-white is caused by environmental factors and modifying genes (1, 2). Aleurone color is best observed in well filled grain that is magnified to show individual aleurone cells, after more superficial tissues have been peeled off (3). Treatment of cut kernels with a 10% HCl solution was used to determine presence of anthocyanin in the aleurone layer (5).
Origin of mutant:
Natural occurrence in BGM 122 (GSHO 2509) (1).
blx5.e in BGM 122 (GSHO 2509) (1).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
blx5.e in BGM 122 (GSHO 2509).
1. Finch, R. A., and E. Simpson. 1978. New colours and complementary colour genes in barley. Z. Pflanzenzücht. 81:40-53.
2. Kushnak, G.D. 1974. Utilizing linkages of genetic male sterile and aleurone color genes in hybrid barley (Hordeum vulgare L.) systems. Ph.D. Thesis. Montana State Univ., Bozeman.
3. Mullick, D.B., and V.C. Brink. 1970. A method for exposing aleurone tissue of barley for color classification. Can. J. Plant Sci. 50:551-558.
4. Mullick, D.B., D.G. Faris, V.C. Brink, and R.M. Acheson. 1958. Anthocyanins and anthocyanidins of the barley pericarp and aleurone tissues. Can. J. Plant Sci. 38:445-456.
5. Shim, J.W., and S.J. Suh. 1987. Linkage relationship of blue aleurone genes (Bl's) in barley. p. 213-217. In S. Yasuda and T. Konishi (eds.) Barley Genetics V. Proc. Fifth Int. Barley Genet. Symp., Okayama. 1986. Sanyo Press Co., Okayama.
R.A. Finch. 1978. Barley Genet. Newsl. 8:167.
J.D. Franckowiak and R.A. Finch. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:404.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2018. Barley Genet. Newsl. 48:148.