International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 337, Broad leaf 2, blf2
Stock number: BGS 337
Locus name: Broad leaf 2
Locus symbol: blf2
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Narrow leaf = nlh (4).
Broad leaf 2 = bb2 (6).
Narrow leaf-k = nl.k (2).
Monofactorial recessive (4).
Located in chromosome 5HL (2); blf2.b is based on linkage drag with the raw1 (smooth awn 1) locus (2); blf2.b is associated with SNP markers 2_0298 to 1_1490 (positions 203.85 to 235.18 cM) in 5H bins 11 to 12 of the Bowman backcrossed-derived line BW059 (1).
Leaf blade width of mutant plants is narrower (about 2/3 of normal) than those of Hannchen (5, 6). Leaf blades of plants of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW059 are 2/3 to 3/4 as wide as those of Bowman. BW059 plants are slightly shorter, have 2 to 3 fewer kernels per spike, and have slightly shorter and lighter kernels. Grain yields of BW059 were similar to those of Bowman (3).
Origin of mutant:
A neutron induced mutant in Hannchen (CIho 531) (5).
blf2.b (GSHO 1667) in Hannchen (CIho 531) (4, 5, 6).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
blf2.b (GSHO 1667) in Hannchen; blf2.b in Bowman (PI 483237)*6 (GSHO 2136); blf2.b in Bowman*7 (BW059, NGB 20467).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. 1995. Notes on linkage drag in Bowman backcross derived lines of spring barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 24:63-70.
3. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
4. Ramage, R.T., and A.D. Day. 1960. A 10:3:3 ratio for leaf width in barley. Agron. J. 52:241.
5. Ramage, R.T., and B.J. Hoyle. 1957. Irradiated Hannchen barley. Barley Newsl. 1:19-20.
6. Robertson, D.W., G.A. Wiebe, R.G. Shands, and A. Hagberg. 1965. A summary of linkage studies in cultivated barley, Hordeum species: Supplement III, 1954-1963. Crop Sci. 5:33-43.
J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:285.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2011. Barley Genet. Newsl. 41:137.