International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 231, Curly 5, cur5
Stock number: BGS 231
Locus name: Curly 5
Locus symbol: cur5
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Curly 5 = cu5 (3).
Monofactorial recessive (2, 3).
Located in chromosome 2HS (1); cur5.h is associated with SNP markers 1_1078 to 2_0476 (positions 66.78 to 96.47 cM) in 2HL bins 05 to 07 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW225 (1); cur5.h is associated with SNP markers 1_0498 to 2_0476 (positions 81.43 to 96.47 cM) in 2HL bin 07 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW250, which also contains dusky 1 (dsk1.a) (1). Previously located in chromosome 1HS (4); based on linkage drag with the sls1 (small lateral spikelet 1) locus (4).
Leaves are short and partially coiled, and awns are slightly coiled. Plants are semidwarf (2/3 normal height), have relatively short spikes, and are relatively weak (2, 3). Plants of the Bowman backcross-derived line for cur5.h, BW225, headed 3 days later than Bowman and were about half as tall. Leaf blades of BW225 were short and narrow compared to those of Bowman. Spikes contain 5 fewer kernels, kernel were narrower (3.3 vs. 3.7 mm), and kernel weights were 10 to 15% lower. (3).
Origin of mutant:
A sodium azide induced mutant in Glenn (CIho 15769) (2).
cur5.h (GSHO 1710) in Glenn (CIho 15769) (2, 3).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
cur5.h (GSHO 1710) in Glenn; cur5.h in Bowman (PI 483237)*8 (BW225, NGB 22052); cur5.h with dsk1.a in Bowman*7 (GSHO 2045, BW250, NGB 22075).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Faue, A.C. 1987. Chemical mutagenesis as a breeding tool for barley. M.S. Thesis. North Dakota State Univ., Fargo.
3. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
4. Franckowiak, J.D. 1992. Allelism tests among selected semidwarf barleys. Barley Genet. Newsl. 21:17-23.
5. Franckowiak, J.D. 1995. Notes on linkage drag in Bowman backcross derived lines of spring barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 24:63-70.
J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:229.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2011. Barley Genet. Newsl. 41:120.