International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 434, Eceriferum-zq, cer-zq
Stock number: BGS 434
Locus name: Eceriferum-zq
Locus symbol: cer-zq
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Monofactorial recessive (7).
Location is unknown. The one donor parent SNP marker retained in the Bowman backcross-derived line for cer-zq.248 (BW172) was not mapped (1).
Surface wax coating on the leaf blades appears absent, but only on the three upper leaf blades (wax code ++ ++ -) (7). Plants of the original stock remain as a vegetative tuft for a long time before heading (7). Plants of the Bowman backcross-derived line for cer-zq.248 (BW172) had thin, short culms, about 70% of normal. Comparing BW172 plants to Bowman plants, awns were 2/3 normal, leaf blades were shorter and narrower, and spikes had few kernels, 16 vs. 22. BW172 plants headed about 3 days later and were very susceptible to lodging at maturity. Kernels of BW172 were thinner, 3.6 vs. 3.9 mm, and about 25% lighter. Average grain yield was less than 50% of that for Bowman (2).
Origin of mutant:
A diethyl sulfate induced mutant in Foma (NGB 14657, CIho 11333) (7).
cer-zq.248 (NGB 111135, GSHO 1524) in Foma (NGB 14659, CIho 11333) (3, 7); cer-zq.761 (NGB 111649) in Bonus (NGB 14657, PI 189763) (4); cer-zq.1343 (NGB 111231) in Bonus (3); cer-zq.1378 (NGB 112266) in Bonus (6).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
cer-zq.248 (GSHO 1524, NGB 111135) in Foma; cer-zq.248 in Bowman (PI 483237, NGB 22812)*5 (GSHO 2202); cer-zq.248 in Bowman*7 (BW172, NGB 22004).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Lundqvist, U., and D. von Wettstein. 1971. Stock list for the eceriferum mutants. Barley Genet. Newsl. 1:97-102.
4. Lundqvist, U., and D. von Wettstein. 1977. Stock list for the eceriferum mutants IV. Barley Genet. Newsl. 7:92-96.
5. Lundqvist, U., and D. von Wettstein. 1979. Stock list for the eceriferum mutants. V. Barley Genet. Newsl. 9:135-137.
6. Lundqvist, U., and D. von Wettstein. 1982. Stock list for the eceriferum mutants. VI. Barley Genet. Newsl. 12:169-172.
7. Lundqvist, U., P. von Wettstein-Knowles, and D. von Wettstein. 1968. Induction of eceriferum mutants in barley by ionizing radiations and chemical mutagens. II. Hereditas 59:473-504.
U. Lundqvist. 1975. Barley Genet. Newsl. 5:152.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:386.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 2018. Barley Genet. Newsl. 48:146-147.