International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 433, Eceriferum-zp, cer-zp
Stock number: BGS 433
Locus name: Eceriferum-zp
Locus symbol: cer-zp
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Monofactorial recessive (4).
Located in chromosome 7HL (7); cer-zp.313 is about 7.5 cM distal from the ert-g (erectoides-g) locus (8, 9, 10); cer-zp.313 is about 8.9 cM proximal from the cer-t (eceriferum-t) locus (9, 10); cer-zp.313 is associated with SNP markers between 1_1198 to 2_0850 (positions 73.70 to 157.13 cM) in 5H bins 04 to 09 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW171 (1), likely in 5H bin 09.
Surface wax coating on the leaf blade appears absent (wax code ++ ++ -). Plant vigor is reduced, leaf blades are narrow and rolled inward, and they are maculated with dark and light green zones (6). Expression of the maculated trait is less pronounced in the Bowman backcross-derived line for cer-zp.313 (BW171), and the plant vigor is better. Plants of the Bowman backcross-derived line for cer-zp.313 (BW171) were 5 to 10% shorter and had 2 to 3 fewer kernels per spike. Kernels of BW171 were 5 to 10% lighter, and grain yields were about 75% of those for Bowman (2).
Origin of mutant:
An ethyl methanesulfonate induced mutant in Foma (NGB 14659CIho 11333) (6).
cer-zp.313 (NGB 111200, GSHO 463), -zp.382 (NGB 111269), -zp.397 (NGB111274), -zp.404 (111292) in Foma (NGB 14659, CIho 11333) (3, 5); cer-zp.1205 (NGB 112093) in Kristina (NGB 14661, NGB 1500) (4); cer-zp.1795 (NGB 117343), -zp.1796 (NGB 117344) in Bonus (NGB 14657, PI 189763) (5).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
cer-zp.313 (NGB 111200, GSHO 463) in Bonus; cer-zp.313 in Bowman (PI 483237, NGB 22812)*7 (GSHO 2114, BW171, NGB 22003).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Lundqvist, U., and D. von Wettstein. 1971. Stock list for the eceriferum mutants. Barley Genet. Newsl. 1:97-102.
4. Lundqvist, U., and D. von Wettstein. 1977. Stock list for the eceriferum mutants IV. Barley Genet. Newsl. 7:92-96.
5. Lundqvist, U., and D. von Wettstein. 1985. Stock list for the eceriferum mutants VII. Barley Genet. Newsl. 15:89-93.
6. Lundqvist, U., P. von Wettstein-Knowles, and D. von Wettstein. 1968. Induction of eceriferum mutants in barley by ionizing radiations and chemical mutagens. II. Hereditas 59:473-504.
7. Søgaard, B. 1971. Linkage studies on eceriferum mutants in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 1:41-47.
8. Søgaard, B. 1973. Continued linkage studies on eceriferum mutants in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 3:57-61.
9. Søgaard, B. 1974. Three-point tests on chromosome 1 and 7. Barley Genet. Newsl. 4:70-73.
10. Søgaard, B. 1977. The localization of eceriferum loci in barley. IV. Three point tests of genes on chromosome 7 in barley. Carlsberg Res. Commun. 42:35-43.
U. Lundqvist. 1975. Barley Genet. Newsl. 5:151.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:385.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 2018. Barley Genet. Newsl. 48:144-145.