International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 559, Breviaristatum-r, ari-r
Stock number: BGS 559
Locus name: Breviaristatum-r
Locus symbol: ari-r
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Breviaristatum-14 = ari-14 (4).
Monofactorial recessive (4).
Location in chromosome 5H (1); ari-r.14 is associated with SNP markers 1_1198 to 2_1275 (positions 73.70 to 104.73 cM) in 5H bins 04 to 06 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW056 (1).
Plants are semidwarf (less than 1/2 normal height) with compact spikes and globe-shaped kernels. Awns are stiff and less than 1/3 normal length (4). Plants are vigorous, but heading is delayed. This mutant can be placed in the brachytic class of semidwarfs based on growth pattern (3). The growth habit of ari-r.14 is semi-prostrate. Plants of the Bowman backcross-derived line for ari-r.14 (BW056) were 1/3 to 1/2 the height of Bowman with peduncles about 1/2 normal length. Leaf blades were short, about half normal, but width was near normal. Awns were 1/2 to3/4 normal length, the number of fertile spikelets per spike was reduced by about 20%, and spikes had shortened rachis internodes, 3.3 vs. 4.5 mm. Kernels of BW056 were 25% shorter than those of Bowman and kernel weights were nearly 40% less, 3.3 vs. 5.6 mg. Grain yield of BW056 were about 1/3 those of Bowman (2).
Origin of mutant:
A neutron induced mutant in Bonus (NGB 14657, PI 189763) (4).
ari-r.14 (NGB 115860, GSHO 1666) in Bonus (NGB 14657, PI 189763), -r.202 (NGB 116011) in Foma (NGB 14659, CIho 11333) (4); ari-r.236 (NGB 116046) in Foma (5); ari‑r.282 (NGB 116098) in Kristina (NGB 14661, NGB 1500) (4); ari-r.314 (NGB 116145), -r.318 (NGB 116151) in Kristina (5).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
ari-r.14 ( NGB 115860, GSHO 1666) in Bonus; ari-r.14 in Bowman (PI 483237)*6 (GSHO 2165, BW056, NGB 20464).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Franckowiak, J.D. 1995. The brachytic class of semidwarf mutants in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 24:56-59.
4. Kucera, J., U. Lundqvist, and Å. Gustafsson. 1975. Inheritance of breviaristatum mutants in barley. Hereditas 80:263-278.
5. Lundqvist, U. (Unpublished).
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:485.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 2011. Barley Genet. Newsl. 41:187.