International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 365, Male sterile genetic 9, msg9
Stock number: BGS 365
Locus name: Male sterile genetic 9
Locus symbol: msg9
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Male sterile 9 = ms9 (4).
Monofactorial recessive (4).
Located in chromosome 2HS (2, 4); msg9ci is about 6 cM from the T2-7a translocation point (4); msg9.ci is over 18.7 cM distal from the eog1 (elongated outer glume 1) locus (2); msg9.ci is associated with adjacent SNP markers 1_0786 to 2_1242 (position 133.59 cM) in 2H bin 09 in a plant from Bowman backcross-derived line BW592 (1). The position of the msg9 locus based on SNP data does not correspond to the linkage based map distances.
Selfing - 10% at Bozeman, Montana and 24% at Tucson, Arizona, USA (3).
Outcrossing - complete female fertility (3).
Stamens - anthers smaller than fertile sib (4), stomium present and filament elongation occurs (5).
Pollen - stained in plants grown in the field and in the greenhouse, in some samples the grains appear normal (5).
Origin of mutant:
A spontaneous mutant in Vantage (CIho 7324) (4).
msg9.ci (MSS057, GSHO 2408) in Vantage (CIho 7324) (4).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
msg9.ci (GSHO 2408) in Vantage; msg9.ci in Bowman (PI 483237)*7 (GSHO 1883, BW592, NGB 24138).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. 1991. Association of male sterility genes with a specific chromosome using multiple marker stocks. Barley Genet. Newsl. 20:31-36.
3. Hockett, E.A., and R.F. Eslick. 1968. Genetic male sterility in barley. I. Nonallelic genes. Crop Sci. 8:218-220.
4. Luna Villafaña, A. 1995. Mapping marker genes in chromosome 2 of barley. M.S. Thesis. North Dakota State Univ., Fargo.
5. Roath, W.W., and E.A. Hockett. 1971. Genetic male sterility in barley. III. Pollen and anther characteristics. Crop Sci. 11:200-203.
E.A. Hockett. 1971. Barley Genet. Newsl. 1:181.
J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:313.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2015. Barley Genet. Newsl. 45:141.