International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 2, Chlorina seedling 12, fch12
Stock number: BGS 2
Locus name: Chlorina seedling 12
Locus symbol: fch12
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Chlorina seedling-c = fc (5).
Chlorina seedling-fc = clo-fc (9).
Monofactorial recessive (5).
LoLocated in chromosome 7HS (2, 6); fch12.b is about 3.6 cM distal from the gsh3 (glossy sheath 3) locus (8); fch12.b is about 9.3 cM proximal from the brh1 (brachytic 1) locus (10); fch12.b is in 7H bin 02 about 1.8 cM proximal from RFLP marker ABG320 and co-segregating with markers BCD130 and ABC327 (7); fch12.b is associated with SNP markers 2_0242 to 2_0495 (positions 6.89 to 32.35 cM) in 7H bins 01 to 03 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW354 (1), in 7H bin 02 at about 14 Mb.
Seedling leaves are yellow with green tips, and new leaves show a yellow base and a green tip. As the plant develops, leaf color changes to pale green (5). Plants are vigorous, but anthesis is delayed by 6 to 10 days. Kernel weights of BW354 vary from similar to those of Bowman to 10% less. Grain production of BW354 is 1/2 to 2/3 of that of Bowman (3).
Origin of mutant:
A spontaneous mutant in Colsess (CIho 2792) (5).
fch12.b (fc) in Colsess (Colsess V, (GSHO 36) in Colsess (CIho 2792) (5); fch12.l (Trebi chlorina 453, GSHO 155), fch12.m (Trebi V, GSHO 158), fch12.n (Trebi IX, GSHO 18), fch12.o (Trebi XI, GSHO 163) in Trebi (PI 537442) (4); clo-fc.110 in Bonus (NGB 14657, PI 189763) (9); fch12.b may be present in the brachytic chlorina stocks (GSHO 124 and GSHO 174) (11).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
fch12.b (GSHO 36) in Colsess; fch12.b in Bowman (PI 483237, NGB 22812)*7 (GSHO 1826),fch12.b in Bowman*8 (BW354, NGB 20593).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Fedak, G., T. Tsuchiya, and S.B. Helgason. 1972. Use of monotelotrisomics for linkage mapping in barley. Can. J. Genet. Cytol. 14:949-957.
3. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
4. McMullen, M. 1972. Allelism testing of seven chlorina mutants in Trebi barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 2:76-79.
5. Robertson, D.W., and G.W. Deming. 1930. Genetic studies in barley. J. Hered. 21:283-288.
6. Robertson, D.W., G.W. Deming, and D. Koonce. 1932. Inheritance in barley. J. Agric. Res. 44:445-466.
7. Schmierer, D., A. Druka, D. Kudrna, and A. Kleinhofs. 2001. Fine mapping of the fch12 chlorina seedling mutant. Barley Genet. Newsl. 31:12-13.
8. Shahla, A., and T. Tsuchiya. 1987. Cytogenetic studies in barley chromosome 1 by means of telotrisomic, acrotrisomic and conventional analysis. Theor. Appl. Genet. 75:5-12.
9. Simpson, D.J., O. Machold, G. Høyer-Hansen, and D. von Wettstein. 1985. Chlorina mutants of barley (Hordeum vulgare L.). Carlsberg Res. Commun. 50:223-238.
10. Swenson, S.P. 1940. Genetic and cytological studies on a brachytic mutation in barley. J. Hered. 31:213-214.
11. Wang, S., and T. Tsuchiya. 1991. Genetic analysis of the relationship between new chlorina mutants in genetic stocks and established f series stocks in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 20:63-65.
T. Tsuchiya and T. E. Haus. 1971. Barley Genet. Newsl. 1:105.
T. Tsuchiya. 1980. Barley Genet. Newsl. 10:101.
J.D. Franckowiak and A. Hang. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:45.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2007. Barley Genet. Newsl. 37:190-191.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2011. Barley Genet. Newsl. 41:60-61.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2011. Barley Genet. Newsl. 48:57-58.