International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 5, Chlorina seedling 8, fch8
Stock number: BGS 5
Locus name: Chlorina seedling 8
Locus symbol: fch8
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Chlorina seedling 8 = f8 (4).
Chlorina seedling-f8 = clo-f8f8 (6).
Monofactorial recessive (4).
Located in chromosome 7HS (2, 4, 5); fch8.j is about 13.0 cM distal from the nud1 (naked caryopsis 1) locus (2, 4); fch8.j is about 2.7 cM distal from the msg10 (male sterile genetic 10) locus (2); fch8.j is associated with SNP markers 1_1014 to 2_0445 (positions 80.65 to 121.90 cM) in 7H bins 06 to 07 of the Bowman backcrossed-derived line BW105 (1), likely in 7H bin 06.
Seedlings have a yellow-green color and plants retain a chlorina (yellow green) phenotype until ripening (2). Plants of Bowman backcross-derived line BW105 were viable in the field, but heading was delayed 2 to 10 days across environments. Plant height of BW105 varied from slight taller than Bowman to 3/3 of Bowman height and awns were slightly shorter. Spikes of BW105 had 2 to 3 more kernels than those of Bowman, seed weights were approximately 10% lower. Grain yields were 1/2 to 3/4 of those of Bowman (3).
Origin of mutant:
A spontaneous mutant in Comfort (CIho 4578) (4).
fch8.j (GSHO 40, Comfort No II) in Comfort (CIho 4578) (4).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
fch8.j (GSHO 40) in Comfort; fch8.j in Bowman (PI 483237)*8 (GSHO 1829, BW364, NGB 20603).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Eslick, R.F. 1976. Approximate position of the chlorina mutants f4f4 and f8f8 on chromosome 1. Barley Genet. Newsl. 6:10-13
3. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
4. Robertson, D.W. 1969. Linkage studies with five naturally occurring chlorophyll mutations in barley (Hordeum species). Can. J. Genet. Cytol. 9:321-326.
5. Shahla, A., and T. Tsuchiya. 1987. Cytogenetic studies in barley chromosome 1 by means of telotrisomic, acrotrisomic and conventional analysis. Theor. Appl. Genet. 75:5-12.
6. Simpson, D.J., O. Machold, G. Høyer-Hansen, and D. von Wettstein. 1985. Chlorina mutants of barley (Hordeum vulgare L.). Carlsberg Res. Commun. 50:223-238.
T. Tsuchiya and T.E. Haus. 1971. Barley Genet. Newsl. 1:108.
T. Tsuchiya. 1980. Barley Genet. Newsl. 10:102.
J.D. Franckowiak and U. Lundqvist. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:48.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2011. Barley Genet. Newsl. 41:62.